Sunday, June 1, 2008

Pierogies Clearwater

We drove past this restaurant awhile ago and saw some dancing cloud thing. Then we saw a Tampa Tribune article on the Pierogie Grill in Clearwater. So we look up the website (<- click back there) and see a news clip of the place. Since my wife is a Polish princess and all, we decided it would be a nice place to go. She can compare to what her grandmother made when she was a kid. She got "something" like stuffed cabbage rolls. Of course, not as good as grandma's, but I liked it. Plus a bowl of borscht. I got high off the amount of salt in it. I ordered a dozen mixed pierogies.














Supposed to get 6 different fillings and got 2. Okay for the frst time. But I was looking for something more. Oh, I almost forgot. We ordered some Polish beer. My wife orders a Okocim "large" and I wisely get a 16 oz Zywiec.














Here's what arrives and my wife quickly switches. I am instantly in love with the place. Both beers are 6%, but the size is scary. ;)
We finish the plates but I am still looking for more. I browse the menu again and find an appetizer. PICKLED HERRING IN CREAM SAUCE.













I get it and a side of vodka. It was fantastic, just a hint of buffalo pie in it, (not really). My wife even tries and likes it! I could have done a few more vodka's but go with another quart of Okocim. The music was hilarious, mixing between American pop and Eurotrash dance mix. I immediately thought of Techno Viking.
The dj, I think a satellite radio swings from Milkshake to Greased Lightning. Some Polish meathead that must have been or is currently a Marine was really digging Grease. He must have been friend or family because when it came on he went behind the bar to turn it up. Looked like the kind of guy I partied with back in college that was part of the Russian football team. These guys were huge, but dumb as stumps, so they were easily pushed around the field. The head bouncer of the bar I worked at was 6'5", 350lbs and looked little next to these guys. This bouncer was the same guy that got stabbed outside of a mafia/FBI run bar in my hometown. Seven times in the back and he lives. It was like Rocky punching the side of beef, but with a knife. Ahhh, good times. Work until 3am, toss back a few Guinness and go open then restaurant after a half hour drive. But, that's a story for another time.
The bathroom was cool too. I haven't seen anywhere around here that has this.

No comments: